Frequently Asked Questions

How can I help?
If you are interested in helping fundraise more funds, you can us at for more details.
If I am a DACA recipient, am I eligible to apply? Who is eligible?
YES. Undocumented Immigrants/DACAmented/Dreamers who are ineligible to apply for federal aid (FAFSA) are also eligible to apply.
To receive a scholarship under the Illinois DREAM Fund, a students will have to meet the same requirements that currently apply to receiving an in-state tuition rate at public universities in Illinois:
have at least one parent who immigrated to the U.S.;
lived with a parent or guardian while going to high school in Illinois;
graduated from an Illinois high school or received a GED; and
must have attended school in Illinois for at least three years before graduating or receiving a GED
In order to qualify for HB60 In-State Tuition rates (at public Illinois colleges or universities) under HB 60, undocumented student must meet the following requirements:
• student has resided in Illinois with his/her parent or guardian while attending public or private high school;
• student has graduated from an Illinois public or private high school or received a GED from Illinois;
• student has attended an Illinois high school for at least three (3) years;
• student has registered to enter a university no earlier than fall 2003 semester; and
• student provides the university with an affidavit stating he/she will file an application to become a permanent resident of the U.S. once he/she becomes eligible to do so
About the "Affidavit": What Is it, and Is It Required?

The HB 60 In-State Tuition law requires undocumented students to sign an affidavit promising to legalize his or her immigration status as soon as eligible. The affidavits will be exchanged between the university or college and you (the student).
An affidavit is a written version of a sworn statement: a written declaration made on oath before someone authorized to administer oaths (such as a Notary Public)
Do not refrain from applying to public universities due to a concern that your information will be reported to a third party or governmental agency, such as Homeland Security Department. Bound by FERPA regulations, college staff members take necessary precautions to maintain confidentiality, and ensure that records are not shared, nor reported. Data collected from you are for the use of college admission and/or financial aid professionals only. Maria Bucio
What if my parents/myself to not file taxes?
We encourage applicants and their parents who work to file taxes. Applicants may upload a statement of income, that is signed and dated by both student and parents, with regards to annual/adjusted gross income. Here are a few examples:

"I have lived on my own since after high school and work two jobs at XXXX, XXXX making an annual income of $17,750 to pay for a one bedroom apartment, utilities and bus fair. My parents both moved back to Ecuador after I graduated high school, I chose to stay and work and send $125 monthly to them to aid with their medical expenses."
Student Name (Print):
Student Signature:
"My Mother is a single parent and gets paid cash, she does not posses a W-2 form and she does not file taxes. She is the only one working to support our family of four. My father was deported back to Korea early last year. My middle brother has epilepsy and I tend to him after school and unable to work to aid my mother. I plan to start off at a community college because our income is only $11,233.00 a year."
"My parents did not and/or will not file taxes for 20XX year. Our annual/adjusted gross income is an estimated $23,500 dollars to support our family of 5. I will be the first to attend college this fall in pursuit of a degree in Applied Sciences. I am a DACA recipient but currently do not posses employment."
Parent Name (Print):
Parent Signature:
Student Name: Student Signature:
If I graduated high school or am currently enrolled at an institution - are official high school transcripts necessary to submit?
Yes. We need to verify that each applicant is eligible under the Illinois Dream Act to receive the Dream Fund scholarship. They can be opened and uploaded to the onsite application prior to March 1, 2014.
Do I have to be a current college student?
No. Applicants can be current high school seniors planning to attend an accredited public/private non profit - two year (junior college/community college) or four year institution.
Current undergraduates are eligible to apply. Unfortunately at this moment, the scholarship is only for undergraduates and NOT open to Graduate or PhD students.
All applicants must be eligible under the Illinois Dream Act to be considered for the scholarship.
Can these funds be applied towards non-tuition academic expenses?
Yes. The scholarship is to assist recipients with tuition expenses. This includes tuition, institutional fees, books, institutional medical insurance and/or any additional educational expenses to attend the institution of their choice in IL or outside of Illinois.

Webinar Questions Answered

Feb. 16th, 2013